Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Treating Colds and Influenza

The Influenza Virus
With all the buzz on the news about Influenza, I have to say, I am not afraid. I know that I have a powerful tool for keeping myself healthy during cold and flu season. If you are considering the flu shot, I would love to suggest doing research before jumping into it. If you still decide to vaccinate, at least you will be educated on the risks. Today, I'd like to share some natural, alternative methods for preventing and treating Influenza and colds that I use.

The H1N1 Strand
The essential oils have many applications including preventing and treating colds and that dreaded flu! First off, keep in mind that my results have been with doTERRA certified pure, therapeutic grade essential oils. I have tried many other oils and did not experience the same benefits. The quality of oil really does make a difference. I use one drop of doTERRA oil and get better results than I did using several drops of other brands. 

To start how do you know if it is a cold or the Influenza virus? The flu (Influenza) is a highly contagious viral infection of the respiratory system and is usually marked by sudden onset and a high fever. You may also experience a dry cough, sore throat, muscle aches and pains, headache, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, and nasal congestion.A cold, on the other hand, is a viral infection that causes a stuffy or runny nose, congestion, cough, sore throat, or sneezing. Typically, there is not a high fever or the sudden onset with a cold, like there is with the flu.
The Common Cold

Colds: The first thing I do when I think I have a cold is to use Melaleuca. The most effective way to use it is right on your tongue! I must warn you, it is not the most palatable way to use it, but I get quick results with this method. If you cannot tolerate the taste, you can buy empty gelatin capsules and take it that way. The key to using oils is to use small doses (1-2 drops) throughout the day. Many people think that if they take 10 drops, they will be good for the day. It is much better to spread it throughout your day! Other great oils for a cold are Thyme, lemon, On Guard, all used aromatically and topically.


Influenza: The key to treating Influenza is to catch it early and begin treatment right away!I keep On Guard foaming hand soap (recipe to follow) in my bathroom to help prevent the spread of Influenza. I also have a spray bottle with water and about 20 drops of On Guard that I use on the door knobs and light switches. This mix can also be used as a hand sanitizer during flu season. The top oils for Influenza are Breathe, Melaleuca, rosemary, eucalyptus, and On Guard, all used aromatically and topically. There is also peppermint which can help alleviate a fever by using it aromatically, topically, and internally.One of my favorite treatments for both colds and the flu is to take a teaspoon of local, raw honey and add one drop of cinnamon essential oil (Trust me when I say one drop!).This technique can provide instant relief of influenza symptoms. In addition, cinnamon is antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and so much more!


Of course, with either of these, make sure you are drinking plenty of water, and getting plenty of rest! There is no substitute for good nutrition and proper rest.
 
On Guard Foaming Hand Soap Recipe:
1 Cup purified or Distilled water
1/4 Cup Castille liquid Soap (I prefer the shea butter formula)
1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin (you can find this at most health food stores, and sometimes in the first aid section of stores like Wal-Mart and Target.)
Dispensing pump (https://www.aromatools.com/8_oz_Clear_Plastic_Foamer_Bottle_p/9249.htm)


Do you have other natural methods for treating colds and Influenza? Have you used essential oils to treat colds and Influenza successfully? I'd love to hear your stories.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Experiencing technical difficulties....thanks for the very useful info. Look forward to more installments of wisdom 4 a better life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coming at ya! Stay tuned, next week will be all about emergency preparedness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. viruses are defiantly fungal spores or even mycotoxins.

    ReplyDelete