Friday, February 22, 2013

Top 5 Inexpensive Essential Oils


     One thing I often hear is how expensive essential oils are. Well, first I would say why are you buying at retail?  When doTERRA makes it easy to be an Independent Product Consultant, with no monthly minimums, I can't see any reason why someone would not join for personal use. With that being said, the prices I am giving you are wholesale prices. When I look up a symptom, I immediately scan the top oils to see which ones are the least expensive. I try those ones first, and then proceed from there if I don't get the results I am looking for. You can buy less expensive oils at the health food store, but they are not certified pure, therapeutic grade oils. You would have to use many times the amount to get the same benefits as using doTERRA's certified pure, therapeutic grade oils. The following oils are my top picks for under $20:

Lemon Lemon is so versatile! It is anticancer (see Modern Essentials for resources), antidepressant, antifungal, and antiviral. To me, lemon is a powerhouse! I use it in my water to help detoxify. Lemon dissolves petrochemicals. Try this at home. Put two drops of lemon essential oil in a Styrofoam cup. Now place the cup on plate, and prepare to be amazed. The lemon oil will literally dissolve the cup. It will not, however dissolve organic matter, which is why it does not harm us to ingest it. I use lemon to clean and freshen the house (see the post on green cleaners for recipes). I also use lemon for bug bites, allergies (with lavender and peppermint in a capsule), cold sores, poor concentration, for energy, and colds. Lemon is beautiful to use in a diffuser, it freshens the air and makes the house smell clean and pure.

Lemongrass First of all, I love the smell of lemongrass. If you have never experienced Lemongrass, you should give it try. Lemongrass is a warm oil, and just from personal experience, I would always dilute it with coconut oil before applying it to the skin. It is analgesic, antibacterial, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, repels insects, sedative, and vasodilator. I love using lemongrass (diluted with fractionated coconut oil) for fibromyalgia pain. Of course, it could be used for other pain as well. Carpal tunnel, cramps, sore muscles and sprains could all be treated quite nicely with lemongrass. I gave lemongrass to a friend that had a urinary tract infection, and she had relief from her pain in about 30 minutes, and called to tell me it was gone the next day. I have also used lemongrass to help relieve swollen lymph nodes.

Wild Orange The delightful smell of Wild Orange makes it one of my favorites. It is anticancer, antidepressant, antispasmodic, digestive, and sedative. I used wild orange combined with lavender in my diffuser for a friend that was going through a tough a time and was experiencing moderate anxiety. I love wild orange and peppermint for concentration, and energy. It is the perfect blend for diffusing during homework time! A dear friend of mine who suffers from insomnia, uses wild orange to help her sleep. She puts a drop on her upper lip so she can smell it while drifting off to sleep. Use caution with any citrus oils when going out in the sun. It can cause the skin to be photosensitive. Other common uses are detoxification, colds, bronchitis, and digestive ailments.

Rosemary Blend Lemon and Rosemary in a diffuser for a clean, fresh scent. I put 4 drops of lemon, 1 drop of rosemary in my whisper diffuser. Rosemary is analgesic, antibacterial, anticancer, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and an expectorant. It can be used as a vasodilator to help make having blood drawn easier. Rosemary is also great for arthritis pain, constipation, influenza, headaches, kidney infections, low blood pressure, memory, chronic fatigue, candida, and sinusitis. Avoid Rosemary if you are dealing with high blood pressure.

Wintergreen My beloved Wintergreen has been used on many aches and pains! From fibromyalgia pain, to bone pain, arthritis, cramps, and sore muscles. It has a strong penetrating aroma, which I happen to love. If you don't love the aroma, you will come to love it when you feel the relief. It is analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-rheumatic, antispasmodic, disinfectant, stimulating, and warming. Another use is to put it in squirt bottle with water and use it for dandruff. Do close your eyes when spraying it on though. If I am feeling stressed, I will place wintergreen right over my heart for hypertension relief. Wintergreen might also help bladder infections, gallstones, infections, kidney stones, swollen lymph nodes, osteoporosis. My favorite use is for bone pain. That is a pain that is not easily treated, but I see great results with wintergreen. A close friend of mine uses it for his bone pain after chemotherapy, and he touts it as being very effective.

1 comment:

  1. Well written and very informative! I love it! I especially love the opening where you throw in Doterras affordability at wholesale prices! NICE! My only constructive criticism is the photo of wintergreen is misspelled

    ReplyDelete