Thursday, March 28, 2013

Save Hundreds by Making Your Own Green Cleaners


Why make your own green cleaners? There are many benefits. The top of my list is to save money, but a great extra is making sure what you are using in non toxic. Most cleaning products that you can buy are loaded with toxic materials that wreak havoc on our bodies, our hormones, and our health. I know that before I switched to homemade green cleaners, I used to suffer with a migraine after cleaning. It took me a long time to make the connection, but once I did, I was so relieved. The following are a few of the recipes I use in my home to save money and avoid toxic cleaners.

Homemade Laundry Detergent

4 Cups hot water
1 Fels Naptha Soap bar or other laundry soap bar
1 Cup Arm and Hammer super washing soda*
1/2 Cup borax
5 gallon bucket with lid

Grate soap bar. I used to grate my soap by hand with a cheese grater, until I found a food processor at a yard sale. Bring water to a soft boil and add grated soap, stirring gently until soap is completely dissolved. Fill the 5 gallon bucket with hot water, add melted soap, washing soda, and borax. Stir until completely combined. Fill the bucket the rest of the way with warm water and let sit over night. The soap will thicken into a gel. Fill a 2 gallon laundry container half way with soap, and then dilute the rest of the way with water. Add 10-20 drops of pure essential oil. A great oil to add is Purify. It is a blend of Lemon, Lime, Pine, Citronella, Melaleuca, and Cilantro, and it is great for removing odors.

All purpose Surface Cleaner

1 Part Hydrogen Peroxide
1 Part water
10-20 drops of essential oil

I like to use On Guard essential oil blend. Not only does it smell fantastic, it antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral. On Guard contains Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary.

Window Cleaner

2 parts water
1 part vinegar
20-30 drops of lemon essential oil

Have you ever looked at the labels on your cleaning products and then Googled them? Have you tried your hand at making your own green cleaners with any success? I would love to hear your feedback.

1 comment: